The Skeletal Tyrannosaurus of Chino: My Personal Childhood Encounter With the Impossibly Prehistoric
![]() |
| An artistic reconstruction of Kevin Wikse's childhood account of witnessing a massive skeletal Tyrannosaurus rex walking across a distant mountain ridgeline near Chino, California, circa 1983–1984. |
A question was asked of me. "Do you have any personal experiences with cryptids?"
Submitted by: Kevin Wikse
Location: 5050 Juniper Court, Chino, California
Direction of Observation: Facing north, toward the San Gabriel Mountains
Estimated Date: Summer afternoon, circa 1983 or 1984
Age at Time: Approximately 5 or 6 years old
Weather Conditions: Clear sky, good visibility, daylight
Medium of Observation: Unaided visual observation, elevated on a trampoline in the backyard
Classification: Bleed-Through Event / Anomalous Apparition / Totemic Manifestation / Time Dilation
Narrative Report
I was a young child, 5 or 6 years old, standing on a backyard trampoline behind my home at 5050 Juniper Court in Chino, California, sometime in the early 1980s.
The sky was clear. It was early afternoon, probably 2 or 3 p.m. I remember the way the sunlight hit the rooftops and fences, the dry warmth of rural Southern California before the urban sprawl swallowed so much of it, and the distinct rhythm and lift of gently bouncing on the trampoline.
Looking northward, directly toward the San Gabriel Mountains, which I did not yet know by name, I saw something that imprinted itself into the bedrock of my memory.
A massive skeletal dinosaur, clearly and unmistakably a Tyrannosaurus rex, or something very similar, was walking along the mountain ridgeline.
Its bones were completely exposed. No flesh. No skin. Just an enormous framework of ancient predation made animate.
The skull was distinct. This was not the long-necked silhouette of a sauropod. It had the massive, powerful skull of a T. rex, its jaws slightly agape, with its tail swaying behind it for balance.
Its movement was slow, steady, and purposeful.
It moved from west to east, walking the mountain like it had every right to be there.
It didn't float.
It walked.
It walked with weight and a palpable sense of tangibility.
And its scale was so enormous that, even from miles away, I could see it clearly, towering above the ridgeline like some god of extinction.
It was silent.
The air did not ripple. No one screamed. Nothing around me announced that something impossible was happening.
But something ancient inside me stood up that afternoon and has never sat back down.
I don't know whether what I witnessed was an imprint from another time, a vision somehow burned into the Earth, an interdimensional apparition, or something for which I still don't have the proper language.
What I know is this:
It happened, and I will never forget it.
How it happened and whether it happened to anyone other than me, I do not know.
Phenomenological Details
Form: Full skeletal entity exhibiting upright, bipedal locomotion and the general anatomical frame of a Tyrannosaurus rex.
Apparent Size: Unnaturally large considering the visible distance. The amount of detail I could perceive suggests either extraordinary scale, some form of visual amplification, or what I would now describe as a possible psychic overlay.
Movement: Smooth, deliberate, and steady gait.
Duration: My visual contact with the entity lasted for what I estimate was upwards of a full minute. Strangely, I do not remember exactly how or why it disappeared from my view.
Audio: No sound detected. Complete silence.
Emotional State: Not terror. Awe. I had the overwhelming sense that I was witnessing something sacred, surreal, ancient, and potentially dangerous.
Interpretative Possibilities
These are interpretations I have considered in the decades since the experience. They are not presented as explanations, only as possibilities.
Residual Echo of a Prehistoric Timeline / Dimensional Bleed-Through:
There are theories within paranormal and alternative-history circles that the early to mid-1980s represented a period of unusual timeline or dimensional instability, sometimes retrospectively connected with phenomena such as the Mandela Effect. If there were such a thing as a temporal echo, some moment from another age bleeding briefly into our own, it might account for the impossible appearance of a prehistoric animal.
It does not, however, explain why the dinosaur appeared as an animated skeleton.
Astral Guardian:
The entity may have manifested as a symbolic or spiritual presence intended for future recognition, something I would not have possessed the framework to understand at five or six years old.
Possible Remote Viewing Artifact or Projection Interference:
Considering the documented interest in psi phenomena and psychic experimentation during the Cold War era, I have occasionally wondered whether the apparition could have represented some form of projection or interference, perhaps even something intended to test or analyze psychic sensitivity.
This would have occurred a year or two before my later experiences associated with Project CHERIBUM. I was also experiencing what I interpreted as extraterrestrial or interdimensional visitations during this general period of my childhood.
I cannot establish a connection between those experiences and the skeletal dinosaur. I include the context because of the chronological proximity.
Totemic Induction Experience:
Perhaps the most personally significant interpretation is that this was an initiation into a personal mythos through an archetypal apparition.
There is an additional detail that has become increasingly interesting to me with age.
The direction in which I witnessed the entity walking was toward a horse ranch where someone indirectly but profoundly influential to the course of my life lived.
She was a teenage girl, perhaps 16 or 17 at the time, who introduced a 6- or 7-year-old me to the lore of Carlos Castaneda, Don Juan Matus, and the Toltec warriors.
She was, in many ways, the starting gun.
That introduction sent me chasing the ghost of Don Juan Matus for more than thirty years.
Whether the direction of the apparition had anything whatsoever to do with that later path, I cannot say. But after four decades, I no longer dismiss the coincidence quite as easily as I once might have.
Follow-Up & Personal Integration
This event has remained extraordinarily clear in my memory for more than four decades.
It did not fade like a dream. It did not dissolve into the fog of childhood fantasy. If anything, certain elements of it have remained unnervingly sharp: the exposed skeleton, the enormous skull, the swaying tail, the ridgeline, and that impossible, deliberate walk from west to east.
I believe it was not meant to be forgotten.
Potentially, it was a calling.
Perhaps it was a confirmation.
Or perhaps, for one strange minute on a hot Southern California afternoon, a five-year-old boy standing on a trampoline simply looked toward the mountains at exactly the right or wrong moment and saw something he was never supposed to see.
I submit this record as an honest account of what I witnessed.
Something walked those mountains that day.
What it was, where it came from, and why I was able to see it remain unanswered.
I would be extremely interested in hearing from anyone who has witnessed or interacted with animated skeletal entities of any kind, particularly apparitions involving prehistoric animals, enormous skeletal figures, mountainous or ridgeline manifestations, or childhood encounters that seemed to involve distortions of time, scale, or reality.
After more than forty years, I still don't know what walked across that ridge.
But I remember watching.
Taking Stock of What Stalks You.
Kevin Wikse is a cryptid researcher, investigative journalist, and author specializing in cryptozoology, Fortean phenomena, folklore, and the paranormal. His work combines eyewitness testimony, historical research, and field investigation to document the mysteries that continue to lurk just beyond conventional understanding.

Comments
Post a Comment